Buenos Aires Times

argentina 86,700 COMPLAINTS IN 2017

INDEC: Complaints of gender-based violence quadrupled between 2012 and 2017

The increase in reported instances did not coincide with a reduction in the femicide rate, national statistics bureau reveals.

Thursday 8 March, 2018
In line with the demands made by the Ni Una Menos collective, Indec published Argentina's first national report on gender-based violence.
In line with the demands made by the Ni Una Menos collective, Indec published Argentina's first national report on gender-based violence. Foto:Cedoc Perfil

Related News

The first national report on gender-based violence in Argentina has revealed that complaints quadrupled between 2012 and 2017, according to the INDEC national statistics bureau. 

The growth in complains has not resulted in a reduction in femicides: the past year there were 292 cases, almost identical to 2016’s statistic (290 cases) in a country of 42 million people. 

The Unique Registry for Cases of Violence against Women (RUCVM), the first of its kind carried out by INDEC, recorded that in Argentina there were complaints raised on 86,700 cases in the past year, compared to 22,577 in 2012.

Breaking it down by age, the study indicated that 60.2 percent of the victims that bring their case before the justice system or before assistance organisations are between 20 and 39 years old. In 82.7 percent of the cases, the aggressor had a relationship with the victim: in 45.8 percent they were their partner and in 36.9 percent their ex-partner. 

With respect to 14 to 19 year olds who made complaints, 17.3 percent of the cases the aggressor was their father. In women older than 60 years old, 46 percent of the time the aggressors were their sons. The report states that 90 percent of the victims have levelled more than one complaint against the perpetrator, although only one case per victim was counted, independent of the number of complaints that are presented. 

The report also demonstrated the amount of time that a woman withstands the abuse: 40.5 percent agreed that they suffered violence at the hands of the same aggressor for at least five years, and 23.8 percent for over a decade. 

In 86.9 percent of the cases the woman complained of suffering psychological violence, 67.4 percent physical, 19.4 percent economic and 7.9 percent sexual. And a total of 97 percent of the cases were framed in domestic violence, while the remaining 3 percent was split among workplace violence, obstetrical and institutional.

Indec signalled that the report is based on an ongoing study and that its data is yet to be regarded as complete.

“The long-term goal is for the RUCVM to include the total number of cases of gender-based violence registered in the country, because they carry out the actions that women bring forth when looking for help from the state,” the entity explained.

Argentina’s law defines violence against women as “all conduct, action, or neglect that (...) affects her life, liberty, dignity, physical, mental, sexual, or economic integrity, as well as her personal security”.

- TIMES/AGENCIES

Poll

Op-Ed

Top Stories

  1. 1Glyphosate use on the rise in Argentina, despite controversyGlyphosate use on the rise in Argentina, despite controversy
  2. 2US conservationist hails creation of Argentine national marine parks
  3. 3Allegations spark Argentina’s own #MeToo moment
  4. 4West hit by a triple whammy
  5. 5Dec. 10th-16th: What We Learned This Week
  6. 6Cuadernos probe takes awkward turn for Macri family
  7. 7Decades after first taking office, BA province mayors prepare for last reelection
  8. 8Editorial: Darthés, denunications and due process
  9. 9UCA report says 33.6% of Argentines are living below poverty line
  10. 10The human stories at the heart of a decades-long search for justice